The information on this site refers to version 5.1.0. Here you find information on the former versions 5.0.0, 4.0.0, 3.0.0, 2.0.0 and 1.0.0
Date of Release
The aim of this study conducted by the National Educational Panel Study (NEPS) is to collect longitudinal data on a starting sample of four-year-olds in Kindergarten. Comprehensive theory-based surveys are carried out on children (as target persons), their parents, and educators, as well as heads of the Kindergartens attended, and later on the class teachers and heads of the elementary schools attended. These data will enable us to describe and analyze educational processes, educational trajectories, and the development of competencies.
Key research questions of this study refer to:
- competence development and educational trajectories in this age group,
- the learning environment of Kindergarten, elementary school, and family, as well as learning opportunities in nonformal and informal settings,
- the transition from Kindergarten to elementary school and the associated educational decisions,
- the extent and the importance of social and ethnic disparities in Kindergarten and elementary school and
- early returns to education.
Below you will find detailed additional information regarding the surveys, instruments and data from the Starting Cohort Adults. This documentation refers to the version 5.1.0. In case of questions, simply contact the Research Data Center.