The aim here is to recruit a longitudinal cohort starting with 4-year-olds attending Kindergarten. Extensive, theory-guided assessments will be carried out with the children (as target persons), their parents, Kindergarten staff and managers, and, later, the class teachers and school principals in the children's elementary schools. This data can then be used to describe and analyze educational processes and education pathways.
Major research questions in this stage refer to
- the development of competencies and education careers in this age group;
- Kindergarten, elementary school, and family as learning environments and the opportunities for learning in nonformal/informal settings;
- the transition from Kindergarten to elementary school and the accompanying decisions on education;
- the extent and the significance of social and ethnic disparities in Kindergarten and elementary school; and
- early returns to education.
In special cooperation with: